Read I Samuel 16:1-13
- Why did God send Samuel to Bethlehem?
- What characteristics did the Lord tell Samuel specifically NOT to look for?
- Why do you think that it is so difficult not to judge a person by their appearance?
- Is there a particular verse in this passage that stands out to you?
As we look forward to studying David, his comfort zone, and his faith, think about the reasons Christians use their own appearance in avoiding God’s instruction. Then think about the reasons Christians use the appearance of other people to avoid doing what God would have them to do.
Read II Chronicles 19:4-9
- When Jehoshaphat set up the judges in the land, what did he tell them to be careful to do?
- What were the three items Jehoshaphat told the judges would not be tolerated? (v. 7)
- What were the two items he told the judges WOULD be required? (v.9)
Personalizing the Lesson:
Can you remember a time when you have not done something you felt the Lord desired because of how you look? David didn’t look the part and yet God gave him the position of King.
Do you recognize the times you have judged others for their appearance and perhaps missed an opportunity to be used of God as a result?
How does our Heavenly Father see us and what is He looking for in His children?